Pottier, Stymus & Co. Dining Chair
1907, Estate of Mr. and Mrs. Alonzo Roberson
This chair belongs to a set owned by Mr. and Mrs. Roberson. It features a carved cherubim (baby angel popular in artwork) on the back of the chair flanked by a pair of finials (a decorative ornament used in furniture and architecture). The back and front legs and arms of the chair feature acanthus leaves, which originated in ancient Greece, where the scrolling, curly leaves decorated columns.
The chair was constructed by the New York City firm of Pottier and Stymus, one of the premier cabinet-making firms of the late nineteenth century in the United States. Pottier and Stymus made furniture in the neo-grec style (which is evident in the acanthus leaves) and designed much of Thomas Edison’s lavish home in Glenmont, NJ.