The Historic Roberson Mansion is the largest piece in Roberson’s Collections and provides a beautiful setting for exhibitions, programs, educational opportunities, events and special occasions. It was a gift to the community from Alonzo and Margaret Roberson, and we feel it is important to use it to its full potential.
Featuring a newly restored third-floor ballroom, a stunning grand staircase, 26 rooms, 11 fireplaces and a working, wrought iron elevator – the Roberson Mansion provides ample space and has been utilized for our annual Home for the Holidays displays, our NYE Masquerade in the Mansion, weddings, showers, photos and more. If you’re interested in celebrating a special occasion with Roberson, CLICK HERE for rental information.
In 1904 Alonzo and Margaret Roberson decided to move from their Main Street home to the prestigious Front Street/ Riverside Drive area of Binghamton. They hired C. Edward Vosbury, a prominent Binghamton architect, to design the house. Vosbury designed an Italian Renaissance Revival style house with all of the modern conveniences. The plan included an elevator, central heat, combination gas and electric lighting fixtures, a dumb waiter, and our intercom system, and a private bath for each bedroom. As in most large homes in the area, there was a billiard room and a ballroom on the third floor. The design also incorporated a three-story servants’ wing in the back of the house.
Mr. Roberson chose the New York City firm of Pottier & Stymus to design the interior of the house. The final design called for silk damask stretched on the walls of the reception room and the library-living room. The Main Hall was painted, stippled and glazed before being decorated with Dutch metal, stenciling, and hand-painted decorations. Each room on the first floor has a different type of woodwork.
The Buffalo firm of Townsend & Fleming was hired to landscape the grounds. A tall wrought-iron fence, designed by the architect and manufactured by Titchener Iron Works, enclosed the property. The home was completed in May of 1907 at an estimated cost of $107,500 for the house, stable, fence, and landscaping.
Alonzo died May 16, 1934. At the time of his death, he was President of the Roberson & Son Lumber Co. and Chairman of the Board of Marine Midland Bank. His will provided for the establishment of “an education center” in the Front St home after its use by his widow. Margaret died in 1953 and as willed, The Roberson Memorial Center opened to the public in 1954.